Are you worried about your or your children’s white converse? Do your sneakers get dirty very often? So you do not need to worry, because I will tell you some such tips and methods, with the help of which you can keep your white converse clean very easily. So, how to clean white converse?
When I was little, I remember we all had to go to school wearing a white dress and white converse on Saturdays. This was my school dress coding. I used to go very clean, but when I came back home, my clothes used to get very dirty and don’t even ask about shoes. The shoes were the dirtiest. But my mother used to dazzle them by washing them well every time. I was small then, that’s why I never paid much attention. But now I have become a mother, and now it is my turn. My children also always make their sneakers very dirty, especially the white ones; it was very difficult to wash them.
I tried many different methods, many of them were successful, and some failed. I have also used different types of products. And after trying all this, I am writing this article so that you do not have to do more experiments like me.
Table of Contents
What is the cause of Converse stubborn stains?
Before we know how to clean white shoes? We should first look at the reasons.
Many people like to wear the Converse because it is very stylish and cheap. And especially it looks good with casual pants like jeans and cotton pants.
Dye stains on clothing
In fact, converse with a high-cut design often get dirty with the pants they wear.
You can wear a high-cut pair of converses to put your ankles on. The idea will be that the bottom of your pants will cover it. Also the pants are rubbing against one another when you wear them. This means that the color of the pants will stick to it and leave the pants to stain.
In reality, the color that is on your pants can be the most common reason for stains in white shoes.
Dirt with mud and sand
The entry of mud and sand between the fabrics is also a cause of dirt.
Canvas, which is the main material in Converse, is a coarser fiber than silk or synthetic fiber. Small stains get in there, and as a result, it feels lightly soiled.
As we take care of this, let’s concentrate on getting rid of stains caused by the dyes and stains entering the fabric.
How to clean white converse?
Method 1: Full cleaning with baking soda and vinegar
1 Remove the shoelaces
Unlace your shoes to expose the white canvas as much as possible, making it easier to thoroughly clean your sneakers.
- First you can remove the shoelaces and soak them in a bucket or basin with warm soapy water. But don’t expect too much that it will look as clean and bright as it used to be. Or you can replace old shoelaces with a new ones.
2 Rinse your shoes with running water
Soak Converse shoes in cold water. You can wash them under the tap or submerge them in a aquarium or bucket.
- Use cold water instead of the usual lukewarm water to avoid dirt from accumulating or the colors bleeding out and ruining the canvas.
- You can work on the sink throughout the process, or you can spread a sheet of paraffin paper or plastic on the counter or floor. The process can be messy and cleaning fluids can affect counters and floors, so extras should not drip and adhere to anything that could be damaged.
3 Make a paste with baking soda and vinegar
Put a sufficient amount of baking soda and white vinegar in a glass or plastic bowl to make a thin, frothy paste.
- Don’t use bowls made of metal or spoons made of metal. Metals may negatively impact vinegar.
- Based on the items you have available, you could use powder detergent in place of baking soda or liquid laundry detergent in place of vinegar. The mixture may not foam very much when made, but it is still effective.
- The amount of paste you use should be around 1 part baking soda to 3 parts vinegar. It is not recommended to use red wine vinegar because it could be dirty. However, as a general rule, use only enough to form a paste-like consistency.
4 Rub the paste on the shoes
First, get a toothbrush or a nail brush and soak it in a homemade cleanser. After soaking thoroughly, scrub the entire surface of the shoe thoroughly with the same brush. Clean all parts of the shoe thoroughly and pay special attention to the areas with the most dirt?
- When you’re done, rinse with cold water. This is not strictly necessary, but you can check the progress and avoid all baking soda and vinegar from getting into the washing machine.
5 Put your shoes in the washing machine
Place the white Converse shoes in the washing machine with a small amount of standard detergent. Run the machine in full cycle with cold water.
- Do not use chlorine bleach or detergents.
- Wrap your shoes in a mesh or cloth washing bag before putting them in to prevent them from hitting hard in the washing machine.
6 Let the shoes air dry.
Converse shoes need to be air dried. To speed up the process and further enhance the whitening effect, place your shoes in a warm, sunny, dry place to dry.
- The dry warmth of the sun can help the shoes dry faster, and the sunshine actually has a mild bleaching effect.
- Do not use the dryer. Mechanically drying the white Converse will cause the shoe to lose its shape.
Method 2: Various options for removing scuff marks
1 Use regular soap and water
Scrubbing the scars with a sponge soaked in soapy water usually works.
- Use mild soaps such as hand soaps and liquid dishwashing liquids that are free of fragrances and chemicals. Mix a few drops in lukewarm water and stir until bubbles form on the surface.
- When scrubbing the scrubbing scars, rub the shoes with a sponge in a firm circular motion.
2 Try WD-40
Spray a small amount of WD-40 directly onto the scratch marks and polish the marks with a sponge or rag.
- Among other things, WD-40 is often used to extract moisture and remove dirt and residues from various surfaces. However, use it only on the rubber part of the shoe, not on the canvas. Since WD-40 is an oil-based product, it may leave stains on materials such as canvas.
3 Apply nail polish remover
Soak a cotton ball or cotton pad in a small amount of acetone nail polish remover and rub the scar with the remover until clean.
- Remove the marks by rubbing them hard with a nail polish remover. Abrasion scars should disappear almost instantly.
- Acetone-based nail polish remover is the best choice.
4 Tap the bleach a little
Dilute a small amount of bleach with water. Soak a clean toothbrush in this bleach mixture and use it to scrape off scratch marks.
- Bleach is a known whitener, but it’s also a harsh chemical. Therefore, you should use only the amount you need to prevent damage to your shoes. Also, use it only on the rubber part of shoes, not on the canvas part.
5 Whitening Scrape off scratches with toothpaste
Apply toothpaste directly to the scuff marks and rub with a toothbrush.
- Toothpaste with baking soda is preferred over any other toothpaste. Baking soda has the added benefit of being a cleanser, and as a mild abrasive, it can remove stains that cause scratches.
- However, if you can’t find the baking soda toothpaste, you can use another toothpaste that contains a whitening agent.
6 Use lemon
Cut the lemon in half and apply the half cut directly to the scratches on the shoe. Rub hard to remove the mark.
- Lemon juice is often used as a natural alternative to bleach.
- Rub the lemon juice and leave it on the scar for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with cold, plain water.
- If you don’t have the whole lemon, you can also scrub the area with a small amount of lemon juice and a toothbrush or rag.
7 Apply petrolatum
Rub Vaseline on the abrasion. Leave it for 5 minutes before wiping it with a damp cloth.
- Vaseline can attach to dirty particles of frayed material and lift debris.
- Place petrolatum on the rubber part of the shoe and avoid the canvas part if possible. The oil contained in petrolatum can leave a light stain on the cloth.
8 Rub the scratches with rubbing alcohol
Rub rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball or cotton pad and apply to the scar. Rub well and wipe off any remaining alcohol with a damp cloth.
- Rubbing alcohol is a very powerful household substance that can remove many forms of stubborn debris and dirt.